Sunday, April 15, 2012

Multiplication Super Stars

We finally got around to starting multiplication.  We do Rocket Math in our class and I have one student on multiplication and the rest of the class is trying so hard to catch up and be there too.  I keep telling them that they have to master all their addition math facts before they can really understand multiplication.  They just looked at me and wondered why they need to know addition facts in order to do multiplication. 

Well, they finally understood once we did our activity.  We wrote everything we knew up on the board before starting.  Then I gave an example of how to solve a multiplication problem.  I showed them how to do repeated addition.  "OOOHHHH, AHHHH!"

They seemed to understand that when we multiply numbers we add "GROUPS" together.  So I got out my dry erase boards and somehow I am missing some, so the ones that didn't get the boards used their desks.  They love writing on either, so it didn't bother them too much! 

I found jelly beans on sale after Easter, so I bought those to use.  I usually use M&Ms, but I love a good deal!  So using the problem 5x3, they drew 5 circles on their desks for the groups.  Then they put 3 jelly beans in each circle.  They then had to write the addition problem under the circles to show me they really got it!  Well, guess what?  They seemed to get it!  I had a cute multiplication activity that I also did with them, but I can't figure out how to import my Google documents onto my blog.  Another thing I will have to learn!  Next, we will be working on our flashcards and studying multiplication!















No comments:

Post a Comment